The perfect fall or winter salad is this bright pink creamy and crunchy beet root salad. A hearty root vegetable, they’re available pretty much all year round, but they’re best June through October. For many years i boiled my beets which drains out a lot of flavor until one day my sister advised me to bake them. Long story short, i never boiled my beets ever again.
Roasting beets reserves it’s flavor while also leaving them firm and juicy. In addition to being tasty, beets are very nutritious. If you’ve never worked with beet roots before, here are a couple things to keep in mind.
Don’t peel before you roast. Once cooked and cooled, beets are incredibly easy to peel – their skins will slide right off! I like to peel mine with a paper towel.
Let them cool completely. There are some cases when you might want a hot roasted beet, but in the case of this salad, cooled beets are best.
1 extra Large beet root (about 3 cups shredded)
1/3 cup Sweet Onion (diced)
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1/2-1tsp Salt (or to taste)
1tsp White Sugar
1 clove Garlic (pressed) (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 400*F, wrap beetroot in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Check to see if cooked through) Unwrap beet and cool.
- Peel the beet with the help of a paper towel and grate on the large side of the grater.
- Into a bowl add the grated beet, diced sweet onion, mayonnaise and season with salt and sugar. (also add garlic if desired)
- Mix everything to combine and serve.
If you make this recipe I’d love to see it. Tag @alenashomecooking on instagram and hashtag it #alenashomecooking or by clicking the social icons on top of this page.
Roasted Beet Salad
- 1 XL Beet (about 3cups shredded)
- 1/3 cup Sweet Onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2-1 tsp Kosher Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp White Sugar (or to taste)
- 1 clove Garlic (OPTIONAL) (pressed)
Preheat oven to 400*F, wrap beetroot in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Unwrap beet and cool.
Peel the beet with the help of a paper towel and grate on the large side of the grater.
Into a bowl add the grated beet, diced sweet onion, mayonnaise and season with salt and sugar. (also add garlic if desired)
Mix everything to combine and serve.